Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Max The Fun In Your Wargaming

A light hearted wargaming blog. 

Welcome! You’ve stumbled across a blog on which I’m sharing my thoughts and experiences of Wargaming. 

I’ve been a war gamer for over forty years off and on and currently play every Monday night with the Nottingham Wargames Club. We play a range of historical wargames,WW2,ACW,AWI,ECW,Napoleonics and the occasional naval or aerial combat game. In addition, I am a member of The Very British Civil War forum that meets for games at Hammerhead and Partizan. 

As I am a secondary school teacher, I’ve run several wargames clubs in schools and it’s my intention to cover a few issues around running such clubs in school and how we can encourage the next generation of war gamers. 

At the moment, like many of you I guess the Nottingham Wargames Club is running games online through Zoom. This has thrown up some interesting challenges, and as we will be in this situation for a few months yet, I’ll be posting some thoughts and considerations on this topic. 

I’d also like to share a variety of other little tips, skills and comments on hobby related issues from using a powerful,free photo editing software program to improve photos of your games, advice on writing thrilling battle reports and some terrain building projects. I’ve learned a great deal through trial and error over the years and often come across stuff that I wish I’d known before I got stuck in!

I hope I’ve given you a feel for what I’d like to do with this blog and that you’ll hit the follow button or maybe write a comment or two.

To finish, I’ll leave you with some nostalgia - spending hours, carefully blobbing enamel paint onto 25mm Ancient figures, moustaches and beards were a nightmare! gleefully loading up a mule with forty bales of hay and then burning all the monsters to death because there were no encumberance rules in D&D, drawing out a map of the South coast of England and France for our Battle of Britain game on A3 sheets -ambitious, but it meant that we couldn’t lay it out on the bedroom floor, and trying to make head or tail of Red Star White Star which was only rivalled in complexity and obsession with detail by Aftermath, which by the way allowed you to completely destroy an armoured vehicle by firing one bullet into the door.

Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Historical Wargaming Dying Out?

How to introduce new players to the hobby.   If you regularly trawl through  Youtube  as I do  looking  for Battle Reports for your favourit...